A slow internet connection or interruptions are often related to the personal device of the user or a nearby user causing interference.
Your device – your maximum speed
Your own device (both hardware and software) mainly determines the capabilities and thus also the speed of your Wi-Fi. Most devices have settings for home use which is not always ideal. Furthermore you also need to apply all updates and the latest device drivers for your device. By doing so, you already can resolve some wifi issues.
Minimum specifications for your device:
- 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz
- 802.11bgn:2×2, 802.11an:2×2, 802.11ac:1×1
Recommended specifications for your device:
- 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz
- 802.11bgn:2×2, 802.11an:2×2, 802.11ac:2×2
When your device does not meet the minimum requirements (visible through a Wifi link of max 65Mbps or 72Mbps), we recommend to only buy the validated USB Wifi Adapter Asus USB-AC53
Power Savings – Screen Off
To save battery, some devices disable the wireless connection when locking/turning off the screen. In case your device regularly loses its wireless connection after a locked/unlock sequence, make sure your device is connected to either one of the following wireless networks:STUDENTENINTERNET(EAP) or eduroam
- Android: keep wifi on during sleep android
- Windows: energy settings => high performance + keep wireless adapter enabled
- MacOS: Energy Saver => Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off + Enable Power Nap
Updating Device Drivers
The video below explains how you can check this for a Windows device.
Advanced Wi-Fi settings
First make sure that Windows is set for maximum performance/maximum speed: Wireless Power Saving in Windows
It is also important to check the advanced settings of your Wi-Fi adapter. These can be found via the configuration panel/device manager/network adapters.
- afterburner: disabled
- association roam preference: enable
- u-apsd support: disable
- roaming decision: optimize bandwidth
- roam tendency: aggressive
- minimum power consumption: disable
- maximum transmission power: 100% (maximum throughput)
- band preference: 5Ghz
- HT mode: enable
- AP Compatibility Mode: higher performance
- WMM/WME: enable
- Bluetooth collaboration: enable